Give your documents a professional layout with LaTeX. Using LaTeX, content and layout are separate, which gives you the chance to focus on the content first. While writing an academic paper, LaTeX will support you regarding citations, creating a bibliography and with the typesetting of formulas. It simplifies the use of the underlying typesetting programme TeX. In order to use LaTeX, a TeX-distribution is needed. You can either install one on your computer or work with an online-editor. The distribution consists of a collection of programmes and other components concerning the typesetting programme, basically the ecosystem of LaTeX. Working with LaTeX is similar to creating HTML-code for webpages, however prior knowledge is not necessary. You can find a first LaTeX-example on this website of The LaTeX Project.
Training Classes for Beginners
We offer a 90-minute online class for beginners in LaTeX for students from all faculties as from the first semester. Please register for a suitable date.
- basic structure of a LaTeX-document
- basic LaTeX-commands, for example:
- selected packages for an extended range of functions
- citations and bibliography with BibLaTeX and Biber
- combination with Citavi
We also created a LaTeX-Course in Moodle (in German).
- TeX-distributions to install locally
- online-editor Overleaf
- further web resources
- Biblatex-cheatsheet - concise overview of the BibTeX-Format, BibLaTeX-package and the program Biber
- LaTeX-Wiki - eBook in shape of a Wiki
- Stackexchange TeX - question-and-answer-forum (English)
- Texwelt - question-and-answer-forum (German)
- Folien des PeP et al. Toolbox Workshops - Writing scientific texts with LaTex (German)
Please contact us: Dortmund University Library LaTeX-team