You can access a large number of electronic resources off campus if you are affiliated to the TU Dortmund and hold an Uni Account. For this authentication you need a VPN client or you use the institutional login (Shibboleth), which we can now offer for most publishers. Without being affiliated to the TU Dortmund, you have no access off campus.
Access to Ebooks, Electronic Journals, Databases
- TU Dortmund Members
- Employees of the TU Dortmund:
- Students and employees of the TU Dortmund:
- VPN for students (Forcepoint - Download and Manual)
Alternative for VPN: Access via Shibboleth for the following publishers (Manual):
- ACM (Association for Computing Machinery)
- ACS (American Chemical Society)
- AIP (American Institute of Physics)
- Alexander Street Press (Database: 'Fashion online')
- Annual Reviews
- APS (American Physical Society - Journals)
- ASM (American Society for Microbiology)
- Bloomsbury (E-Books)
- Cambridge University Press
- Content Select (Beltz Juventa, transcript, Waxmann ... )
- de Gruyter
- Duncker & Humblot
- EBSCOhost (Databases and E-Books)
- IEEE Xplore
- IOP (Institute of Physics)
- John Benjamins
- Linkedin (Videotutorials)
- Felix Meiner Verlag
- MGG online
Registration (for example 'Springer'):
- Mohr Siebeck
- Morgan & Claypool (E-Books)
- Nomos Verlag
- Oxford University Press (OUP - Journals)
- Oxford University Press ('Sign in via your institution')
- Proquest (Databases: Harpers Bazaar Archive, Italian Vogue Archive, Women's Wear Daily Archive, US Vogue Archive)
- Royal Society of Chemistry
- Sage (eJournals)
- Sage (E-Books)
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
- Steiner Verlag
- Taylor & Francis (E-Books)
- Taylor & Francis (eJournals)
- University of Chicago Press
- UTB Studi-e-books
- Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht
- VDI Verlag
- Web of Science
- World Scientific
- WTI (Databases 'Tecfinder': Tema, ...)
- » 'Sign up / Log in'
- » 'Access via your institution'
- » 'Access through your institution'
- » Search 'dortmund'
- » 'Technische Universität Dortmund'
- » log in with your TU-Account
... deGruyter (for example 'Tanzimprovisation : Geschichte - Theorie - Verfahren - Vermittlung'):
- » https://www.degruyter.com/view/title/514074
- » 'Einloggen für Download' [blue button]
- » 'Find your Institution'
- » search 'Dortmund'
- » choose 'Universitätsbibliothek TU Dortmund'
- » click 'Login' / 'Technische Universität Dortmund / IDP des ITMC TU-Dortmund'
- » login with your TU-Account
- » via 'Inhalt' you get to the single chapters / via 'Buch download' to the whole e-book (Note: the whole e-book is not offered for all titles)
Descriptions may vary: the link to login is sometimes called 'institutional login', 'Institutionelles Benutzerkonto' or 'login via your institution'. Sometimes TU Dortmund is listed as 'Universität Dortmund', 'Technische Universität Dortmund' or 'Universitätsbibliothek Dortmund'.
FAQ: No access to full text despite active VPN - possible reasons:
Simply a problem of sequence?
You need to connect to your VPN client first and then access the full text.
If you ever failed to follow this order, you would have to
- restart your browser (alternative: you can also delete the cookies set by the publisher)
- connect to the VPN client
- and then call up the full text.
Background: when accessing the full text, most publishers set cookies to record access permissions. Shutting down the browser deletes them and then creates them again, this time taking the VPN connection into view.
Do you use the default configuration of the VPN client Pulse Secure or do you use an internal VPN client of your faculty?
How do I recognize an internal VPN client?
You can find out by right-clicking on the Pulse Secure icon in the SysTray (lower edge of the screen) and selecting "Open Pulse Secure". The "Server URL" should then be "vpn.tu-dortmund.de", without any other additions.
Background: with an internal VPN client you can only access resources on servers of the TU Dortmund - but our e-books are usually located on the servers of the publishers or at other providers. (List: 'Internal profiles' of the faculties at the TU Dortmund)
Are you using a browser plugin that could potentially interfere with the VPN client?
Please try the call with another browser or e.g. with the private mode of Firefox. Or temporarily disable your browser plug-ins.
For the 'Ad Guardian Plus' you can also deactivate the HTTPS traffic (s. Manual).
You can't call a specific ebook?
Also possible: the ebook has accidentally not been unlocked for use or the ebook you are looking for has mistakenly been added to the list of licensed titles - please send us an email and tell us the title you are looking for. We will contact the publisher.
Alternatives to Pulse Secure VPN Client
The VPN client Pulse Secure is currently somewhat overloaded and outages may occur. Employees of TU Dortmund University can also use the VPN for students (Forcepoint) or try to authenticate yourself via Shibboleth ('Institutional Login') to authenticate for use.
Are you working with the current version of Pulse Secure?
Since Dec 8, 2021 there is a new version of the VPN client Pulse Secure (version 188.8.131.52) - download.
Note: you can determine the version of your VPN client by opening the Pulse Secure window via the corresponding icon at the bottom of the screen. Via "Open Pulse Secure" you can find the version number of your VPN client under 'Help' and 'About'.
Is this a journal of the publisher 'Elsevier' (platform: ScienceDirect)?
Please note our blog post Elsevier-Zeitschriften ab 1.1.2017.
Do you still use a 2nd VPN client or comparable like Wireguard?
You would have to switch off the other VPN client while using Pulse Secure or Forcepoint - this can also cause interference.
Which IP address are you using?
Please connect via Pulse Secure or Forcepoint and then go to https://ct.de/ip in your browser. The page will show you the IP address you are currently using - the address should start with 129.217.
Was your login to the VPN client successful?
The Pulse Secure icon in the SysTray (bottom of the screen) should have a green arrow when the connection is active - the Forcepoint icon should have a green background.
Do you have performance problems with your VPN?
If you have problems with the performance of your VPN, please restart your home router.
other possible causes:
- [VPN - Mac OS] Despite being connected, I cannot access content from some publishers (IPv6) .
- [VPN - Forcepoint] Despite Windows client, the VPN for students access does not work.
- Please also note the other entries in the FAQ "Access to the network" of the ITMC.
- Bauen im Bestand : B + B
- Bauen mit Holz
- Textiles : the quarterly magazine of the Textile Institute
- Wettbewerbe aktuell
Non-members of TU Dortmund University (External users)
- Everyone not affiliated to the TU Dortmund has access to our licenced electronic resources within the library at our computer workstations - no access off campus.
- general: Contact, Feedback
- electronic resources in your particular field of study: Subject Librarians